Thursday, March 12, 2009

Dancing with the Stars

This is season ___ of Dancing with the Stars, and it is already making headlines. Not only do they have engaged professional dancers, the youngest contestant yet, and two last minute substitutes. But one think that has kind of been bothering America is the vulgarity of this season. Steve-O, formerly on MTV's Jackass, is a contestant this season, I should have counted how many times they said "jackass" on the show. It was uncomfortable and inappropriate for a prime-time family show. Also, a lot of the dancers, Karina Smirnoff in particular, was basically naked on the floor. The main controversy is concerning rapper Lil Kim. She gave a shout out to her "girls" she spent time in prison with (for conspiracy and perjury). There questions about whether the inmates will be able to vote.

I think this season will be a good one, there is a lot of talent and big names, but being a LIVE family reality show, I think, for the sake of parents watching it with their children, they had better calm down on the jackass, prison, and playboy references. 

7 comments:

ashleyb said...

I totally agree this season does seem pretty controversial. I think Steve-O's trying to clean up his image-he's been speaking about being a recovering addict...as for their apparel choices-pretty racy and Lil Kim's whole prison ordeal-not ok.

JVolet said...

I don't know if i really think it is controversial because all it is is entertainment. they want people to watch the show so of course they will have people who will add drama and conflict. it seems like it will be a fun show to watch just from what we have already seen.

jbeccue said...

I can't believe all the drama they have had already. I think this will be a very interesting season. I love dancing with the stars and I will watch all of them.

maggiemoon said...

I actually just got done watching dancing with the stars and realized how much of a buzz it's creating. They definitely have some scandelous people including Holly from The Girls Nextdoor and the guy from Sex and the City who is actually naked in the movie. I guess they're trying to cast some outrageous people to catch the audience's attention.

Who Am I? said...

Wow. I haven't been keeping up with all the Dancing With The Stars news, but this isn't what the show or viewers are used to. Even with Jerry Springer in a pervious season, did there get more risky. I think as long as Steve-o keeps his mouth censored and everyone keeps their clothes on there shouldn't be a problem.

Andrea Lloyd said...

Cloris Leachman in a previous season was very controversial. She commanded gossip around the water cooler after each episode, and you would find her saying odd things out on the street. I am not sure this season is any bit different than the previous seasons but it should be interesting to see how everything unfolds.

nbrewer said...

I am not a really big "Dancing with the Stars" fan, but I have watched it a few times in previous seasons. As far as someone being practically naked on the stage, that is normal and I find it comical that Lil' Kim is giving shout outs to her girls in the pen. Half of kids have no idea what happened with Lil' Kim and if they do then they are old enough to be watching her anyways. As far as the hopeless plugs from Steve-O that could be regulated, I suppose, but kids are not going to be sheltered forever. This is entertainment and it is going to press the button a little bit.