Monday, April 19, 2010

For A Tiny Press, The Pulitzer Arrives Out of Nowhere

When the Pulitzer Prizes were announced this past week, no one was more surprised than fiction winner Paul Harding. His novel, Tinkers, was released by a little-known publishing company with few works of fiction to its credit, the first time a book published by a small independent press has won the Pulitzer for fiction since 1981's A Confederacy of Dunces.No one notified Paul Harding that he had won the Pulitzer. Harding was alone when he checked the Pulitzer website, curious to find out who had won.

"I came as close to actually fainting as I think I ever have, because I literally just could not believe what I saw when it came up on the website," Harding says with a laugh. "And I kept refreshing and it just kept coming up Tinkers, Tinkers, Tinkers."

The Bellevue Literary Press was not exactly known as a powerhouse in the publishing world: The staff comprises editorial director Erika Goldman and an assistant. Their office is in a most unusual setting for a publishing company, "nestled," as Goldman puts it, "within the department of medicine at the New York University School of Medicine, which is at Bellevue Hospital."

Read More.

2 comments:

H Dolezal said...

That's ridiculous. Pulitzer prizes should be made a bigger deal and winners should obviously be notified!

Tiffany Ramirez said...

I agree with Hailey! Pulitzer prizes are a big deal and this writer should have been told immediately by his publishing company. If he remained with the company, I would be shocked.