Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Apps and Adults

The cell phone app craze is in full swing, but according to CNN.com, while the number of adults with app enabled cell phones is growing, their actual usage of the applications is not. 35% of adults have phones with app ability, however only 25% actual use the apps. The Pew Internet Project survey showed that more than 1 of 10 adults doesn't even know if their cell phone is app friendly.

I have not joined the app craze, but I do know if my cell phone is app friendly. I am sad to say that I have not fully embraced the constantly changing, fast-paced world of iPhone, apps and the social media obsession. Yes, i know its time to jump in, but I like my simple phone with no apps. My phone makes and receives calls, text messages and I can get on the internet and pretty much do whatever. Don't worry, I am on Facebook and Twitter, but I'm not constantly checking it or updating. I would consider being more involved, but my excuse for now is my lack of free time.

2 comments:

Caroline Keaveny said...

This topic is very interesting. My dad (54) just got an iPhone. I don't understand why he got it since he doesn't use apps. It is somewhat hard for him to navigate. However, my mom loves the apps especially the ones that make her think (words with friends is her favorite). I believe with time adults will get used to the idea of using an app. Just like the use of text messaging has become as important as a phone call, apps are likely to become the new browser but more specific.

James Cisneros said...

My father also has an iphone, ipod touch, and is thinking about getting a Mac. Last week, I asked him if he's downloaded any new apps. He asked me, "What's an app?"