Monday, September 6, 2010

"Man, PR looks cooler on TV"

In the age of reality television, everyday people are shown an array of different occupations. While interesting and sometimes informative, they don't show the whole story, of course. Culinary shows, such as Bravo's Top Chef and Fox's Hell's Kitchen, keep views on the edge of their seat while simply watching water boil while shows like E!'s The Spin Crowd glamorize the PR world and make it seem very exciting (not that it isn't, it just takes a lot more work than what is shown on TV.)

While I do enjoy reality television, sometimes it's frustrating to have others look at your profession as nothing more than lip injections and on-screen cat fights. Hopefully, the American public would be able to tell the difference between reality and actuality.

http://www.prnewsonline.com/prinsiders/Reality-TV-vs-Real-PR-Professionals_14121.html

8 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I agree with the article. I also watched Kell on Earth as a guilty pleasure, however it was always so obvious that they were leaving out all the major hard work that went on in the work place. Kelly got where she is by working hard and being in the middle of the buisness. It almost made me sad that the show never really exhibited why Kelly is considered one of the best in the fashion world.

Shahar Gurvitz said...

I agree. I enjoy the show for entertainment purposes and that's about it. The show completely lacks professional realism, but who would want to watch a show about an account executive writing a press release or media alert right? However, the show is definitely crossing off LA as future career location for me. If my boss cares more about what I look like than the work I produce, I'd rather live somewhere less glamourous.

Kim Gandy said...

The Spin Crowd looks like a joke. I should hope my experiences in the PR industry will not resemble this show.

Just like Keeping Up with the Kardashians, I think The Spin Crowd is scripted and fake.

jaclyn perry said...

I think that to some degree almost all professions are glamorized on television. Just look at the phenomenon with all the CSI shows glamorizing that industry. I think that like most of you have said that for entertainment purposes the shows are nice but we should not be picking professions based on what show we would love to be a part of.

Val McElveen said...

The Spin Crowd is probably one of the worst reality shows I have ever seen. I honestly tried to like it, but the way they have portrayed PR is embarassing.

Elissa Fontenot said...

I watched the first episode of this show and turned it off before it finished. They are ridiculous and way over the top. I like Kell on Earth much better, even though that was also a reality show that was probably edited very well.

Aubrey Williams said...

The Spin Crowd does not show the hard work that they really put into making those events happen. I know that they did not become successful by acting the way they do, it has to be completely fake and scripted.