Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Dr. Pepper says women can't handle new bold drink



Dr. Pepper is marketing it's latest diet soda to men only. According to the article, most diet drinks are seen as girly, and most men don't want to drink them. I am not sure if that is true, but I think men would want to at least try this new drink after seeing the commercial. The commercial for Dr. Pepper's new bold tasting drink is being run mostly on the internet and in just a few test markets and is being market toward middle-aged, middle-American men. The ad is similar to a action movie trailer and features the main guy "in the movie" drinking the manly soda. The drink is supposed to have an extra bold taste that they are hoping will appeal to men. I think it's interesting that they found this to even be an issue. I have never heard a guy say he wouldn't drink a diet drink because he thought it would make him feminine. I think that maybe this is just Dr. Pepper's point of view. I can remember a long time ago when the DP ads were pretty feminine, with all the ladies swooning over the Dr. Pepper delivery guy, but they have since been gender generic to me.
View Story

7 comments:

Alexis Garcia said...

I think this is a very smart idea for Dr. Pepper to market a low calorie soft drink to men. Very few men choose to drink diet drinks and hopefully Dr. Pepper can overcome that. Regardless, I think women are still going to drink any diet drink so I don't think Dr. Pepper needs to worry about that audience.

Erica said...

I approve this. I think it's a smart move by Dr. Pepper to bring in men into the diet soft drink market.

Marlene Navarro said...

Diet Dr.Pepper is awesome and guys should drink it too!

Mario20Gon said...

I think it's a risky move by Dr Pepper. I have tried Dr Pepper 10 and was not impressed. I actually had it before but didn't realize what it was. I though it was just another diet drink.

KarliJ said...

I think this idea is so smart, because guys tend to shy away from diet drinks. Girls will drink it either way (if it tastes good and is low in calories), the tough guy commercial will at least prompt men to try it!

victoria_villarreal said...

Go Coke Zero!!!! Smart idea, but we shall see if it lasts. I feel that women are more apt to stay true to a brand, but men sometimes prove you wrong. (SOMETIMES)

Allison Sheffield said...

I think that this is a great idea, at least for guys who are into being healthy. But many guys don't care about calories, in fact, many want MORE calories added to their diets. But hey, it's a good idea to create a product specifically targeting men because women will still drink it also.