Sunday, September 11, 2011

Could 9/11 have been prevented if social media was around in 2001?

Today marks the ten year anniversary of September 11, 2001. It was a dreadful day that no one will ever forget. A lot of people are discussing what would that day have been like if social media would have existed.

Could certain events on that day been avoided because of Facebook or Twitter? Thinking about how fast news spread of Bin Laden's death, Beyonce's pregnancy and the photo of the plane in the Hudson River, I believe that social media could have helped more people survive ten years ago. News travels so fast nowadays with Twitter, I have no doubt it could have helped.

Social media is powerful and can reach a large audience in no time at all. I wish social media had been around to help people escape from buildings faster, or even people on the planes to fight harder. It gives me chills thinking about what pictures we would have seen or messages sent from the people on the hijacked planes.

USA!



1 comment:

JenJurczewsky said...

I think maybe it's for the best. I can't imagine seeing pics of the planes going down. Sometimes it's best to leave it alone.