Saturday, September 17, 2011

Demi Lovato Speaks Out

Last year Demi Lovato checked into rehab in the middle of her tour. She admitted to having an eating disorder and cutting herself to deal with her pain. Lovato, whose third studio album hits stores on Tuesday, is now healthy and speaking out.

In a recent interview with Ellen Degeneres, which will air on Tuesday, Lovato said, "One of the reasons why I became so outspoken when I decided to come out of treatment and talk about my issues was because when I grew up I was dealing with the pressures to be thin. It was the time in the tabloids when very, very skinny girls were on the cover of every magazine and that's what I was looking up to. That's what I had to idolize. I don't want that for young girls to idolize."

Lovato also teamed up with Seventeen Magazine and the Jed Foundation in a campaign called "Love is Louder." She recorded a PSA encouraging women that "love is louder than the pressure to be perfect," and her interview was featured in the May 2011 issue.

 In the past year we have seen an increase in the amount of celebrities who are willing to step out and discuss real issues. I think speaking out is such a courageous thing to do. Demi Lovato has been nothing but genuine throughout this whole process. It's nice to see a star seek help and come out on top, and it's people like Demi who are changing the way media and society interact. 

6 comments:

ChelsaJo said...

Great blog! I've noticed that Lavato is a very popular teen and prominent influence to children in today's generation. Since overcoming the hurdles in her life, she has been able to turn her struggles into a positive in order to reach out to those who are growing through the same struggles. Creating a PSA was a clever PR move and is a great way to reach a large audience.

LeahBaker said...

Rehab is now par for the course when it comes to today’s young Hollywood stars. It seems to be trendy if you cut yourself or if you can’t stop doing blow every day. I’m skeptical of how “real” her problems are/were and can’t help but wonder what is used for publicity. I think it’s fantastic if she is genuinely putting herself out there to help people, but I’m curious about the people behind the scenes orchestrating everything.

Fran said...

I agree, I think it is awesome for her to use her experience to share with other girls who are suffering with the same problems. I feel that society puts such a high emphasis on being skinny that a lot of younger girls forget what it's like to be a teenager because they are so worried about their appearance. Good for her. Someone needs to relate.

Anita Santa-Coloma said...

I agree with Leah on wether I believe this issue of hers to be true or not. It just feels like nowadays celebrities will do anything for a little extra attention. If anything she just has good PR backing up any bad desicions she might have made along the way. They used her image as a young troubled celebrity in order to redeem herself as a Disney star and role model to teenage girls.

MichelleRose said...

Good choice on blog. Lavato's currage and story is inspiring. She is right to take a stand and incurrage young girls to view healthy beauty through comfedence and love, rather than those idolized sickly looking woman. Her PSA campaign was a great idea and highly affective.

L. Berger said...

I have always stood behind any celebrity that breaks out and does some sort of PSA or campaign for a personal issue just as Demi did in this instance. The pressures set by the media to look and act a certain way are definantly weighing down not only on celebrities, but "regular" people too. Snaps for Demi and her PR team on turning this negative situation into a positive way to look at her problem.