Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Laying Dowing the Law

Location-based social network, Foursquare, is adding a new feature that allows owners of venues to remove mayorship from those who didn't rightfully earn the coveted title. Since many locations offer real-world discounts to their Foursquare majors, people who are employees, or just happen to walk by and check in often recieve perks unfairly, such as being bumped up to the top of a waiting list at a popular restuarant. Foursquare believes that its new mayorship revokation rules will help people understand and use the social network better. With the new rules comes more opportunity for growth, participation and meaningful investiment. The location-base social network will be continue to expand more of its new features soon.

Although I don't use Foursqure myself, I think the new rule is great. Keeping a social network fair makes it even more attractive and would push me to want mayorship of a certain location even more, and to get that title I would have to go to the venue more often. I think that with the new feature everyone wins.

Read Article.

1 comment:

Kim Gandy said...

I'm surprised this was even an issue, or people cared enough to want the coupons/"mayorship."

Then again I don't use Foursquare, so I just don't get it.