Monday, November 8, 2010

Starbucks Experimenting with Alcohol

Starbucks  is trying to sell alcohol in one of its stores for the first time. The Olive Way store in the Seattle-based chain has added craft beers and wines to its menu, the first of the chain's stores to do so. Beer and wine will go on sale each day after 4 p.m. The move is part of an overall effort to get customers spending time in Starbucks even after their morning jolt; additional offerings will include more options for savory afternoon treats. Over two-thirds of its business comes before 2p.m. The coffee shop is looking into serving liquor and cheeses. 

It will be interesting to see if this catches on. I would not mind having a glass of wine in Starbucks with a group of friends or while studying. I would like to see the case study with their goals for this new avenue. 

 

http://www.thirdage.com/news/starbucks-experimenting-alcohol_10-20-2010

4 comments:

OliviaTapley said...

I can't decide if I like this idea or not. Coffee and alcohol just doesn't seem to mix. Maybe Starbucks should just stick to their coffee sales.

Danika said...

I think this is a pretty cool idea. I think starbucks is trying to expand their market and reach to different types of people instead of just in the morning. I would definitely go to starbucks in the evening with my homework and have a glass of wine!

Megan Moede said...

I agree that it's smart for Starbucks to expand and branch out to draw in a different crowd.. but what image are they trying to brand themselves as? I think they might lose clientele for this.

Natalie said...

I think Starbucks should just stick to coffee. Coffee drinkers make up their business atmosphere. If the alcoholic beverages are coffee related (like Bailey's) then it's an interesting idea, but otherwise I think they should stick to what they are known for.