Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Pandora teams up with car manufacturers

Pandora, the personalized internet radio service, is in the top 5 apps on all smartphones. Founder Mark Westergren is now trying to extend the listening platform to cars. In March, Pandora partnered up with Pioneer, maker of in-dash receivers, allowing consumers with the iPhone or iPod Touch to have touch screen access to Pandora stations in their vehicles. Westergren is now in the works with car manufacturing companies, including Ford, to embed the application into new car models that will be detected through bluetooth. The application will work with any smartphone and will be voice controlled for hands-free access to create and change stations.

I love listening to Pandora in the car and I think this is a great move, making it easier and less distracting than fumbling with a phone while driving.

Watch Westergren's interview with CNN here

5 comments:

Elissa Fontenot said...

I love Pandora. To bad I don't have a smart enough car to accommodate this :).

Maureen Dennis Schein said...

I love Pandora, too. I wish it didn't have the eight-hour limit on the free listening. They have more songs than slacker, but overall, it's not THAT much better that they should charge for it.
However, to be able to listen to my personalized radio station, in the car as I travel, might be worth consideration. When I get a new car, that is.

James Cisneros said...

This is a great idea. However, I think satellite radio is still a better choice in the car, mostly because of the time limit Pandora enforces.

Shannon Topper said...

This is definitely a better way to listen to good music without changing the station constantly. I love Pandora, and I can deal with listening to their 30 second advertisements over the 6 minute radio commercials. The best station is Jack Johnson!

Matt Snyder said...

This is a creative idea that many people will take advantage of; however, I don't like to listen to random songs. That's my biggest issue with Pandora. I like to decide what I'm going to listen to.